We are a member center of PATH Int’l and all lessons are conducted by a PATH CTRI (Credentialed Therapeutic Riding Instructor) with more than 15 years of experience. Learn more about PATH Int'l Certification here.
Therapeutic / Adaptive Riding
- Improves strength, coordination, balance, joint mobility, flexibility, gross and fine motor skills.
- Enhances cognitive functioning: memory, cause and effect, and sensory issues.
- Improves emotional well-being, self-esteem and confidence.
- Allows rider to work on social skills, sharing, following directions, social cues, patience, and communication.
- Provides education, knowledge, vocabulary, sequencing, colors, shapes and numbers.
Riders must be 4+ years of age or older. Rider Should wear long pants and shoes with a low heel, and all forms (located at the red button below) must be be completed prior to participating.
This program is provided free of charge to Active Duty or a Veteran of the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, Police Dept, Fire Dept, or Emergency Medical Personnel.
This program is a ground-work based class that is led by a PATH CTRI Instructor who has completed the Horses for Heroes course. Please check out our Veterans & Local Heroes page to learn more about this program!
Fuzzy Faces Refuge partners with clients and counselors for this service. After discussion with their mental health professional, clients can take part in Equine-Facilitated Psychotherapy. Each session is tailored to the clients goals. Some of these focuses may include :
- Emotional awareness
- Stress tolerance
- Impulse control
- Problem-solving skills
- Social responsibility
- Interpersonal relationships
EFL (Equine-Facilitated Learning) is the opportunity to gain an increase in self-awareness and develop the life skills and goals participants desire through unmounted experiences with a horse. These sessions are led by a trained equine specialist and a professional in education or mental health. Goals participants may be seeking : trust, communication, honest, respect, empathy, self-confidence, behavior control, setting boundaries, etc. These are not psychotherapy sessions.
Clients Are Provided
• Beautiful Farm Setting Nestled On 70+ Serene Acres
• Specially-Trained Volunteers for Side-Walking and Leading the Horse (If Needed)
• Large Outdoor Arena and Other Additional Riding Areas
• Viewing Areas for Family and Friends
• Sensory Trail Opening in Summer 2020
• Spacious Bathroom with Wheelchair Access
• Wheelchair Accessible Horse Mounting Area
Most lessons are organized into session blocks of six weeks (Monday-Thursday) with a regular day/time assigned weekly to each client. Private (when possible) and semi-private (2-3 max.) sessions are available.
Our facility is open year-round (weather permitting) with most major holidays observed.
Interested and want to know the next step?
Please contact our Program Director, Jennie Hill at 609-678-8655
or email her at email@example.com to schedule an intake session!
Required Forms, Payment Options, and Financial Assistance Application can be found at the link below.